All of our professional development opportunities are hands-on and provide real solutions for use in the classroom/learning environment.
We tailor our professional development support to meet the specific needs of schools and districts. Whether it’s in support of a multiple-year district-wide initiative or a small scale pilot, we meet teachers where they are and work in partnership throughout the school year.
Beginning in 2020, we have supported initiatives and service projects to inspire STEAM learning in the classroom, beginning in elementary school. We have also helped schools create and run pilot programs exploring hands-on STEAM integration in anticipation of school-wide implementation. For more information about how we can support your efforts please contact us.
RAFT offers in-person, virtual as well as hybrid workshops. Each workshop takes advantage of our warehouse of bulk materials and extensive catalog of learning activities to explore STEM/STEAM topics and design challenges that follow grade-level standards and best practices.
All of our workshops are hands-on and participants leave with plenty of ideas and materials for implementation in the classroom.
- Hands-on activities in a distance learning environment
- The importance of STEAM journaling
- STEAMify your virtual lessons
Hybrid and In-Person workshops (pending shelter in place regulations)
These workshops can take place onsite at RAFT or as a hybrid workshop. For hybrid workshops, RAFT will deliver materials in advance and facilitate via a virtual platform.
- Mini Design Challenges in the classroom: Foster creativity with interesting recyclable materials!
- Integrated STEAM Education: Integrate design challenges into existing or emerging lesson plans.
- STEM Learning Activities: Explore how RAFT kits can become effective engineering challenges, encourage problem-solving, creativity, and application of learning.
- Found Engineering and Materials Management: Explore materials organization systems and creative reuse of materials.
- Create Your Own: Customize the above or contact RAFT to discuss other options including developing maker mindsets, planning STEAM showcases, and community engagement events.
RAFT training hours can often be applied towards continuing education units issued through San Jose State University.
We offer workshops for individual members as well as for schools and organizations. For more information, and to sign up for a workshop, please contact us.
Educator Lab Events
We also offer a series of member workshops for individuals who want to explore our Educator Lab such as laser cutter training, project kit investigation, found engineering, and more.
Become a Member
Members save 25%-50% off in the store and enjoy access to professional development resources.